Current ministries include but are not limited to:
- Holy Unions
- Music Ministry
- Outreach Ministry
- Pastoral Care
- Education and Spirituality
Dignity/Washington offers member couples the ability to celebrate their love with a commitment ceremony. Working with a member of the liturgy committee and one of the presiders from the community, the couple discusses several topics leading to the development of the actual rite of Holy Union. The process generally takes a couple of months.
For couples in our community contemplating a commitment ceremony, please know that D/W is here to help. Contact the Dignity Center for more information.
Our requirements for couples wishing to have a Dignity/Washington Holy Union ceremony are that one or both parties must be active members of our Chapter for at least 6 months; and, be regular attendees at our Sunday liturgies.
Music Ministers provide music at Mass and at other special events, such as Holy Unions. Rehearsals are at 4:30 PM on Sundays (before Mass). To join, stop by after Mass, come for rehearsal or contact Jeannette.
The Outreach Ministry sponsors a variety of activities:
- Solidarity Sunday – Solidarity Sunday is a faith-based antiviolence initiative.Solidarity Sunday is held every year on the Sunday before October 11 (National Coming Out day). Our conviction and our witness is that God, who is the Creator and Lover of all, wishes us to live in solidarity with each other andto rejoice in our diversity. We pray that God’s lesbian, gay, transgender, and straight children experience justice,enjoy peace, and spread God’s love throughout the world.We pray this in the name of God, who welcomes all into aholy circle of friendship. Amen.
- Secret Santa – In the Fall, one of our major activities is the Secret Santa program. More details later!
- Damien Ministries Collection: the Defenders collect non-perishable food items on the 1st Sunday of each month.
- Charlie’s Place, the ministry of St. Margaret’s, we support with “spare change,” clothing, toiletries, and volunteers to help with the hot meals Tuesdays - Thursdays 6:30 am to 8:30 a.m.
Gathered in hope, the Pastoral Care Council is a group of Christian men and women dedicated to service within the Dignity/Washington community. Our call is to ensure that our community of faith responds to the pastoral concerns of our membership, in the light of our Gospel values, in a sensitive and professional way.
- As witnesses, we affirm the work of the Spirit in the community.
- As prophets, we call forth and challenging the community.
- And as companions, we nurture the Spirit present in our members.
Aware of the alienation and hurt that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons experience on many levels, yet claiming our share in the Paschal Mystery, we continue to believe and find strength in God’s goodness.
Please contact us at 202-546-2235 and select Option #2 to leave a confidential message. Someone from our Pastoral Care Team will be in touch with you.